- Equity in Bonding. The Department of Human Rights has proposed to expand its equity hiring goals to all local bonding projects. Attached is the MDHR Fact Sheet from the bill last year. There is a hearing on this bill on Thursday 2/13.
- Energy. Attached is the MBT Energy Policy Priorities information that we are sharing with legislators.
- Agenda. As a reminder – our policy agenda top priorities for this session are:
- Bonding to Build Minnesota.
- Prevailing Wages Build Minnesota.
- Construction Workforce Development through Registered Apprenticeship.
- Pro-Worker Energy Policy.
- Pro-Worker Housing Policy.
- CD 1. Candidate Dan Feehan will be at the State Building Trades Council on Wednesday, February 19 to meet with the MBT officers. Any State Council Executive Board member that would like to attend are welcome. Pease let me know if you would like to attend.
- Endorsements. No State Council endorsements have been finalized yet. As a reminder, our endorsement process is here: https://mntrades.org/priorities/endorsements/. This information can be shared with any interested candidates.
- Extern. Law student Katy Traynor Rollins starts her Externship with the MBT tomorrow. She will be shadowing at the Capitol on Wednesdays during session.
- 2020 Convention. Planning is underway for the July 22 – 24 convention. Save the Date information will be out on March 2.
In the News:
- Polymet. Harry represented the MBT at the Jobs 4 Minnesotans press conference today, 2/11 supporting the Polymet project.
- Child Labor. Attached is the BT statement on the DLI Child Labor Report. Here is a link to the Finance and Commerce article: https://finance-commerce.com/2020/01/agency-job-sites-too-risky-for-teens/. Please let me if you are hearing about efforts to change Minnesota’s child labor laws.
- Wage Theft. In case you didn’t see the coverage about the charges filed against Merit Drywall, attached is the MBT statement. WCCO press coverage is here: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/01/21/hennepin-co-attorney-mike-freeman-announces-felony-charges-against-former-owners-of-merit-drywall/
- March 29 - April 1 - NABTU Legislative Conference, Washington DC
- April 8, 2020 - State Council Executive Board Meeting